Verse of the Day


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Is it possible to have more than one best friend?

I believe . . .

It is absolutely possible to have more than one best friend!

When growing up, we usually form our first friendships. Many, not all, find a friend they can hold on to and talk about anything. Usually, that friendship moves on to others as we age, mature and move away.

I have a group of friends that I used to hang out with. There were four of us, which we could easily call each other best friends. *this was high school* There were around 2,000 students. Most all students in the same grade knew each other or of each other... we consider them acquaintances. Some we would get to know a little and call them friends. But the group of four, we could talk for hours and yes, we would have probably killed for each other (in a sense). We were very close, but only at school.

As I left school, a new concept of friendships developed, and in those, I usually found one or two who became close enough to call a "best friend". I moved a lot and found that I would 'acquire' close friends in many places. In doing so, you learn to pick and choose how you select a friend to be a close friend. However, there comes a time when someone may be set in your path when you were not looking. So, now, we find best friends for different situations.

Now, being wiser (haha) and more mature, I find that even tho I have best friends scattered around the states, anytime I need an ear or a shoulder, any one of them make themselves available. And I, as friends go, would do the same. We all go through different eras of life when we need different things. In that, we tend to determine who we can count on, who we can trust, or who we can just lean on for the sake of leaning. Those, we call best friends. I have one for every stage of my life.

I have one friend who I have been close to (but rarely speak with because of distance) since high school. The other two have gone in separate directions, but she and I have remained close. She was my maid of honor the first time I married, then my matron of honor the last. Even tho I do not want to burden her, I know I can still count on her after nearly 40 years.

Then, there are the beautiful friends you meet here...online. You find you have common ground with so many more than you would have ever believed. When you find that, there is a connection that brings you close, close enough to consider one a best friend. When you think about it, by ratio, we really do not (at least the majority of people) have many real friends. But yet, when you have one, you want to keep them close to your heart.

I have met or talked to many people, some who become friends or good friends. But I have learned, best friends are the ones who take the biggest chunks of your heart and hold on for life. I feel blessed and so grateful that I am able to consider so many a best friend. Best friends hold a connection that is real and deep. Just friends will party with ya, but they will go their separate way... a best friend will make sure you are home safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment